Monday, June 15, 2009

week 5 eureka

I also work in a K-8 charter school. Last Wednesday we had field day and we had a softball game with the 6th and 7th graders. I listened to one male student making sexist comments to some of the other boys playing. For instance, he stated to another male, "you throw like a girl". I confronted him on this comment and he looked at me as if I had two heads. As the game got going, another male got up to bat and bunted the ball. This other student was playing the outfield and he hollered in to him "why are you hitting like a girl?". I again confronted him on this comment and the non verbal he gave to me said, "why are you targeting me?". Since I was also playing in the outfield, I went over to him and started explaining how his comments could be considered sexist. He then looked at me with this blank stare, as if I was from another planet.
This reminded me of growing up as a tomboy and constantly hearing how I was pretty good "for a girl". Why couldn't I just have been pretty good. After listening to this boy on Friday and also how no one else seemed to be bothered by his comments, it seems as if not much has changed between stereotyping gender. It is unfortunate that most of the girls I deal with are not very active in sports.
After softball, we moved into the gym for a game of volleyball. This happens to be a sport I participate in with a group of women on a weekly basis and feel I am pretty good at (although I play old school). I, of course, played with the students and when it came to me, I would set up the front line. I believe if I would have messed up; comments would have been made about my gender. Since this did not happen, NO comments were made. Unfortunately, the student making the comments outside was not able to witness this.

4 comments:

  1. Joan,
    This doesn't surprise me at all. And, sadly, because I still participate in that kind of thing. I used to play golf and when my husband would hit a terrible shot, I would say, "Does your wife play too?." When he would putt and the ball didn't reach the hole, I would say, nice shot, Alice. Somehow it doesn't seem as awful to say that to a man. Also, we would go to our local public course and get matched up with another twosome. If it was two guys, I could practically read their minds: Oh, Gosh, we have to play with a girl? We'll never get out of here. Then I would hit my tee shot and their mouths would drop open and they would look stunned. I mostly outdrove guys I played golf with but it was unexpected. I wasn't insulted - I was just proud of myself.

    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan,
    As you stated these stereotypes have not changed although the times have changed. Not only do boys make these sexist comments toward other boys but females are just as cruel. In fact, just last week while in a meeting a co-worker asked me to pass the post-it pad, she was all the way at the other end of the table so I tossed it and she made the same comment as your boys during field day, "you throw like a girl", I looked at her like how was I suppose to pass it, there stickies not a ball and your like 3 seats down. Totally uncalled for and she didn't get a laugh out of anyone if that was her goal. Not sure how certain stereotypes will ever fade away. But it sounds like you had a successful volleyball game so as Taryn stated, when you do soemthing well you should be proud regardless of ignorant/sexist comments.

    Teandra~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for speaking up. I didn't really think about how many sexist comments are made as a part of everyday life before this class. I think I just accepted it as the way it was, but clearly these kinds of things need to be challenged and addressed. Statements like these boys made perpetrate discrimination. Men and women are different but we should learn to appreiciation of our difference not use them to put the other down. Today's boy's need to be exposed to the fact that girls can be good in sports too. I wonder if these kids learn these things from thier fathers (or mother's). If no one speaks up nothing will change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, let me try that again. I didn't realize someone was signed into blogger from this computer before me.

    Good for you for speaking up. I didn't really think about how many sexist comments are made as a part of everyday life before this class. I think I just accepted it as the way it was, but clearly these kinds of things need to be challenged and addressed. Statements like these boys made perpetrate discrimination. Men and women are different but we should learn to appreciation of our difference not use them to put the other down. Today's boy's need to be exposed to the fact that girls can be good in sports too. I wonder if these kids learn these things from thier fathers (or mother's). If no one speaks up nothing will change.

    ReplyDelete