Thursday, June 11, 2009

Response to Nick- wk 4

I have worked in three different school settings. Two of which were alternative school,run by male principals, and the one I am at now is a charter school with a female principal. Most of the students that I come in contact with are from the inner city of Trenton. What I have discovered is this population is very emotionally challenging. Considering females are stereotyped as caring, I find it ironic that the schools run by males seemed to be more in touch with staff and often recognized how emotionally exhausting our jobs were. On several occasions when the kids had half days, the staff was allowed to leave after the kids were gone. The principals would inform us of a job well done and to take the time to rejuvenate.
I am finishing my first year at this charter school and not once have I heard anything positive about our performance. This has proven to be the hardest job I have had as an assistant and have been made to stay on half days, only to kill time. I believe that our principal understands how stressful our jobs are, but enjoys the control she has over us and when reading your blog it brought to mind how I have witnessed this control issue in other jobs when it came to women.

No comments:

Post a Comment