Tuesday, June 23, 2009

eureka-wk 6

As I have stated before, I work in a restaurant part time. I stopped in there to get food (to go) last week and as I was walking down the street to go into the restaurant, two elderly gentlemen were walking out. I know both of them, so naturally I said hello. As I continued on my way I was thinking how nice it was to see them out together for something to eat. I have seen both of them in the restaurant before, but usually always with a female along side of them. This past weekend I saw them together again and this evening as I was walking my dog I ran into two other elderly gentlemen out walking together. Since I live in a small town and know a lot of the people here, I did not look at these situations and wonder if they were gay. I looked upon these situations as men who are looking for a companion to spend time with. I also have a male friend who goes out to dinner with a friend of his every Tuesday night. As I continued on my walk this evening, of course I thought about this class. Times are changing and it has been nice to see that men seem to be more comfortable in the presence of their own gender. I know women would not hesitate to call a friend to grab some dinner or take a walk, so why not men.

3 comments:

  1. Joan,

    You're right -- when people see to women having lunch together, no one does a "double take" and whether consciously or subconsciously I feel that some people do when they see two men "out and about" together. Is it that we stereotype men unless their in a group and having a "business meeting, that's okay, but just two men privately having a lunch appointment, some people automatically think that they are gay. It's a mindset that people need to make an effort to either say, if they are it's okay and if they aren't and just wanting "male bond", that's okay, too! Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it is a great thing to see same gender group walking together and no one says anything about them. I heard so many people saying that men can't walk or be together because people think bad about them.
    I have a little story I will share with you. When I first came to US, one time I was walking with my friend "girl" in the mall, and we were holding hands together. In my country this is normal and every two cloth friend when they walk together they will hold hands. So many people looked at us in a strange way, but that time I didn't know anything about "lesbian or gay" after several weeks I told the story to my cousin whose been here for so long. He laughed at me and he said I should never hold her hand again because people with think that we are lesbian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan,

    That's so true. I love when my guy friends go out to eat together, even more so when its just two of them, I feel like it really shows their open minds of friendship, what it means, and how acceptable it is. It's funny how women are seen together or in pairs so much more than men, whether it's for shopping, dinner/meal, movies, anything. It's so nice to see that men in the world today are in a position to do something like this without feeling awkward or odd.

    It makes me wonder, a long time ago men used to find one another as great companions, and would even kiss one another! I wonder if the reason for that being labeled as "homosexual" or not masculine is due to the homosexuals voicing their feelings and beliefs, rather than hiding them like they used to. Perhaps when the first "coming out of the closet" occurred, it made men skeptical and more hesitant to engage in situations that may, now, be viewed as homosexual habits.

    -Taran

    ReplyDelete