Saturday, May 30, 2009

response to Robins blog

Joan said...

I think it is better if you live with a person first. I know from my previous marriage I was more concerned with upsetting my mother instead of living with him and found myself getting married, yet again, way to soon. I really wanted to make this work, but discovered his ego boundaries did not extend much further then his shoes. So, I am now divorced because I was more concerned with pleasing other people (which tends to be a female trait) and am starting a new life at the age of 50.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Joan I know exactly how you feel - I think that I don't have a problem with my daughter(s) living with their "husbands to be" because I think that if I did - maybe I would have lived with my ex - it would have been different - but then again I wouldn't have my three children. After over 20 years of marriage I finally divorced my husband and am now a little over 50 searching for the love of my life (I don't think it's going to happen) but at least I'm happy. My problem was (especially for my girls) that they saw a "gender-stereotyped" household even though I was working outside the home, I was still "in charge" of the children, cooking, cleaning, etc. I didn't want my girls to follow in my "footsteps". Hopefully, that won't be the case, and I am trying with my son to let him know that is now the way it should be!

    ReplyDelete